July 20, 2020
Vietnam opened a museum dedicated to journalism at the end of June in its capital, Ha Noi, with the mission of preserving the journalistic cultural heritage illustrating the significant events of Vietnam. For the opening, the Association of Journalists of Vietnam, tutor of the museum, launched a major campaign to collect objects throughout the country to recover photos, old cameras, and computers in addition to the existing collection of the association.
“These objects are very valuable, not only for donors but also for the common heritage of the Vietnamese press. They need to be carefully preserved. The museum has received enthusiastic support from journalists and media outlets in the country. Since 2017, we have collected more than 20,000 artifacts,” shared Trân Thi Kim Hoa, director of the Vietnamese Press Museum. The soul of these objects can be now preserved and displayed for all, and every film, newspaper, photo or artifact related to journalism and journalists is forever attributed as an invaluable and irreplaceable historical value. The exhibitions are organized in five different chronological periods – 1865-1925, 1925-45, 1945-54, 1954-75, and 1975-present.
So far, more than 20,000 objects and materials have been collected and displayed at the museum. Among them, around 700 are rare objects and materials reflecting important events in Vietnamese press history. There you can admire a Marantz recorder, the Panasonic M9000 camcorders used in 1992, and the Panasonic AJ D200 as well as the Sony monitor used in the Bac Giang Radio-Television studio from 1992 to 2012.
“In the future, in addition to ancient documents and objects, the museum will also present modern media tools and products typical of the digital age. Indeed, The VNA (Vietnamese Information Agency) intends to help to create informative and creative content, a first in the Vietnamese press “. The VNA also donated 14 precious artifacts selected from thousands of photographs and objects.
Vietnam Press Museum
Open from 8am to 5pm
Adress: E2 Duong Dinh Nghe road, Cau Giay district, Ha Noi.